Wednesday, December 31, 2008

FROSTED CUT-OUT SUGAR COOKIES, A FORGOTTEN HILBRANT HOLIDAY TRADITIONS





For as long as I can remember frosted cut out sugar cookies have been a tradition in my family. They are made by the matriarch of the family. No one can make them better..................... I'm 43 years old and never once have I had a Christmas that these cookies did not play a part in the holiday.............................
-
UNTIL THIS YEAR !!!!!
-
So....the pictures that I've posted here are from a couple years ago. I have not always made them myself and for the last two years have failed to make any. Last year we had just finished laying new flooring in the entire house so by the time cookie baking came along I just didn't have the time or the energy. This year the hubby......yes that's you Chuck....talked me out of it.....after all, who needs all those extra calories anyway. Well, much to my better judgement I listened to him and didn't make any......after all my mom ALWAYS makes them so I will have a chance to get my fill when we spend Christmas in Muscatine.
-
This is the spot where I would normally insert how yummy delicious the cookies were..............
-
This is also the spot that will remain blank this year...............
-
Yep! She didn't make any this year!! AFTER 43 plus years there were NO frosted reindeer with candy red hot noses to feast on.....NO bright green christmas trees to melt in your mouth.....NO golden bells to snitch while others weren't looking......NO candles to bite the flames off of !!!!
-
I'm not bitter! Just giving Helen a hard time!! And Chuck too. After all he is just as much to blame for the lack of cookies.
-
Today one of my co-workers brought some left over baked goods to the office. There, tucked inside the container was a glorious frosted cut out sugar cookie, AND I ATE IT !! It made me think about Christmas day and how Theresa and I teased mom about which cookies she made and which she didn't this year. It also made me think about mom's cookies and how they were so much better then the one I just had.
-
AND more importantly, it reminded me that Christmas was wonderful even without my frosted reindeer cookies! Because I still have my family, and there is nothing more important then that!
-
Now lets talk Chocolate Crinkles................


No comments: